Mother’s Day: 5 Fantastic Ways to Celebrate with Your Senior Mom
Mother’s Day is almost here, and it’s the perfect opportunity to spend some quality time with the important women in your life – for many, that means visiting a senior mom or grandmother being cared for at a skilled nursing facility. While your mother or grandmother will be glad to just spend time with you, planning a special Mother’s Day activity is a great way to show your love and appreciation. Here are a few ideas to help you celebrate Mother’s Day with a senior mom:
- Treat her to a manicure: A manicure or pedicure is a thoughtful gift idea for your mother or grandmother, especially if she is unable to tend to her nails on her own. Consider scheduling an appointment at a nearby salon or hold a DIY spa day at her home or facility by bringing lotion, nail polish, and beauty supplies for a special bedside treatment.
- Throw a picnic: It’s no coincidence that Mother’s Day just happens to fall within the most beautiful time of spring. Mom should feel special on her well-deserved day – and what better way to say, “I love you!” than hosting a lovely picnic lunch in her honor. Whether laid out an airy porch or deck, a trim lawn or even beside a scenic bedroom window, a picnic to share a few smiles and sunshine is sure to raise her spirit and fill her heart right up.
- Homemade Decorations: Anything you can provide to give her room some character can leave a lasting reminder of your love for her and can make her personal space feel homier and meaningful. So go ahead, think about crafts or other creative decorations to liven up the space and provide your mom with colorful and heartfelt reminders of the family she loves.
- A Lasting Memento: A framed family photo, a picture album of the grand kids or a photo calendar filled with happy memories will help Mom feel connected to the family all year long. Be sure to take time to reminisce and to give thanks to Mom for all the joy and care she has provided and recognize her accomplishments and impact on your life.
- Flowers: It may be an obvious one, but you really can’t go wrong with it! Flowers are naturally beautiful and are something mom will love to show off to her friends. Instead of a bouquet, consider purchasing a potted plant that your mother can enjoy year-round as a reminder of your love for her. Another good idea: make Mother’s Day the beginning of a yearlong floral subscription service. There are many reputable services you can sign up for that will send Mom flowers every month – this way she’ll have some extra beauty to brighten up her space all through the year.
At the end of the day, remember, the most important gift you can give your mom on Mother’s Day is the gift of your time! So go ahead, consider incorporating one of these activities into your annual Mother’s Day traditions to show the special women in your life how much you care about them.